Anti-Money Laundering

All estate agents have a legal obligation to conduct identification checks on their customers in accordance with Anti-Money Laundering Regulations.

The Simpsons Group, consisting of Simpson & Partners, Simpson West and Simpson & Weekley are registered with HMRC for anti-money laundering supervision under the Money Laundering Regulations 2017. 

Identification checks for sellers must take place at the point you instruct us. For buyers this should take place at the point your offer is accepted by a seller and must be done prior to exchange of contracts on the property. 

The Simpsons Group may conduct our AML obligations via an electronic verification provider, this is in line with our AML procedures and doesn't require customer approval nor does it leave a hard footprint on the individuals credit file(s).

The processing of personal data in accordance with these Regulations is lawful and necessary for the prevention of money laundering or terrorist financing and is for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest.

More information about our processing of personal data can be found in our Privacy Policy.

You will be required to provide us with two forms of identification, one from LIST A and one from LIST B below. Without this, we are not able to proceed with the transaction.


Current signed passport

Utility bill (gas, electric, satellite television, landline phone bill) issued within the last three months

Original birth certificate (UK birth certificate issued within 12 months of the date of birth in full form including those issued by UK authorities overseas such as Embassies High Commissions and HM Forces) Local authority council tax bill for the current council tax year
EEA member state identity card (which can also be used as evidence of address if it carries this)

Current UK driving licence (but only if not used for the name evidence)

Current UK or EEA photocard driving licence Bank, Building Society or Credit Union statement or passbook dated within the last three months
Full old-style driving licence Original mortgage statement from a recognised lender issued for the last full year
Photographic registration cards for self-employed individuals in the construction industry -CIS4
Solicitors letter within the last three months confirming recent house purchase or land registry confirmation of address
Benefit book or original notification letter from Benefits Agency Council or housing association rent card or tenancy agreement for the current year
Firearms or shotgun certificate

Benefit book or original notification letter from Benefits Agency (but not if used as proof of name)

Residence permit issued by the Home Office to EEA nationals on sight of own country passport HMRC self-assessment letters or tax demand dated within the current financial year
National identity card bearing a photograph of the applicant

Electoral Register entry


NHS Medical card or letter of confirmation from GP’s practice of registration with the surgery

Unless a representative of the Simpsons Group has taken a copy of the original document in your presence, the copies that are provided must be certified.

You may use a solicitor, notary, bank, financial institution, independent professional person, a family doctor, chartered accountant, civil servant, or minister of religion unless you are a non-UK resident when you must use a solicitor, notary or a member of a financial institution.